Kare Kare is peanut entrée that is made of ox tail and peanut butter.
What can we say about Kare Kare that is different from the other ones that we have cooked so far? Well for one this one has a condiment that is a perfect combination for each other, it is call bagoong. When you mix the kare kare and the bagooong in one spoon, the creaminess of the peanut butter married with the saltness of the shrimp paste, it is a match made in heaven. This one is truly holds a special rank on the Filipino recipes pantheon.
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1 pc of oxtail, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 pcs of bok choy, cut into 1 inch pcs
- 1/2 tbsp of sguard
- 3 tbsp of shrimp paste
- 1/8 lbs of pork belly
- Put the oxtail on a pressure cooker. It usually takes around 20 minutes once it starts to boil for it to be at the correct tenderness.
- Remove the oxtail from the broth and save some of the broath.
- Create a mixture of the broth and peanut butter and put it aside
- Saute the onion and the garlic together.
- Once the onion and garlics are a little brown, add the oxtail and saute them together.
- Add the mixture of broth and peanut butter.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes
- Add the bok choy and stir it in.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetable are cooked.
- On another pan, saute the pork belly until the fat is rendered and the pork is crispy.
- Add the shrimp paste on there. After mixing it a little bit add the sugar and saute them together.
That’s it, Kain na tayo (Let’s eat).